Duration: 15 DaysDiscover the treasures of some of the world's most ancient civilisations in the Mediterranean as you explore history through archaeology, religion and culture on a 7-day, multi-continent cruise.
Glories of Greece & Three Continents Cruise Superior (Winter 2020 2021)
Welcome to Athens.
An Insight host will meet you at the airport and take you to the hotel, where there is time to settle in and relax. At 19:00, join your Travel Director for a Welcome Reception, get to know your fellow travellers over a delightful evening of dinner and wine.(Dinner with Wine)
Athens, City of Gods.
Your exploration reveals the Temple of Olympian Zeus and Arch of Hadrian. Next, your Local Expert takes you to the Parthenon, built atop the Acropolis. See the Temple of Athena Nike, also known as the Temple of the Wingless Victory, and the six stone-carved caryatids that make up the Porch of the Maidens on the Erechtheion. Continue to Thermopylae, famous as the mountain pass where King Leonidas led his Spartan army, along with fellow Greek soldiers, into battle against the Persians in 480 B.C. See the memorial dedicated to Leonidas and his courageous Spartans, then on to your hotel in Kalambaka for dinner.(Breakfast / Dinner)
The pinnacles of Meteora.
With your Local Expert, visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Meteora, meaning 'in the air.' The massive pinnacles of smooth rock are ancient, yet could also be the setting for a futuristic science-fiction tale. Visit one of the monasteries, that adds to the strange and beautiful landscape and enjoy stunning views over the Peneios Valley. The rest of the day is at your leisure. Why not explore with a leisurely walk on the nature trails? Alternatively, you may wish to visit the Natural History Museum.(Breakfast)
The Sacred Way and onto Olympia.
Travel south, stopping at the foothills of Mount Parnassus. Ascend the Sacred Way of Delphi with your Local Expert. Pass the Parian marble Treasury of the Athenians and Polygonal Wall with its interlocking stones still perfectly intact after thousands of years. You'll approach the Temple of Apollo, where for 14 centuries the mysterious Oracle of Delphi breathed her enigmatic ‘words,' rumoured to have successfully predicted events related to the Argonauts expedition and the Trojan War. Your travels continue to Olympia where dinner is served in your hotel.(Breakfast / Dinner)
It's all in the name. Ancient Olympia is the site where the Ancient Olympic Games began in 776 B.C. in dedication to the god Zeus. See the Temple of Zeus, the athletes gymnasium and the stadium of Olympia. The starting and finishing markers for the sprint track are still marked by stones and there is time to capture your own memory with a photo at the starting line. In the evening, join a local chef for an entertaining cooking demonstration, followed by a dinner of authentic Greek flavours.(Breakfast / Dinner)
Mycenae and Nafplio.
Visit the ruined city of Mycenae with a Local Expert. Walk through the Lion Gate, visit the royal beehive-tombs and see the giant Cyclopean stones used to build the city walls. Later, meet the artisans and view beautiful works of art at a family-run pottery studio. Travel to the elegant town of Nafplio, known for its beautiful architecture, colour shops and cafes. Your journey continues following the shores of the Saronic Gulf to pass the Corinth Canal dividing the Peloponnesse and mainland Greece, and arriving in Athens. In the evening, enjoy a hearty Celebration Dinner in true Greek style, complete with wine and good cheer.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Getting ready to sail.
This afternoon, board your home for the majority of the trip, MV Celestyal Crystal. Settle into your stateroom cabin as tonight you set sail for Egypt.(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
Sailing to Egypt.
Today you continue cruising the Mediterranean as you make your way to Egypt. Make the most of your time relaxing on-board in the cruises spa and lounges. While cruising, enjoy an exquisite variety of Mediterranean dishes as well as flavours, aromas and spices from around the world. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served onboard daily. Vegetarian options are available for those who require them. Your cruise includes a complimentary drinks package featuring a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, and hot beverages.(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
Alexandria and Port Said.
Today you’ll arrive in Alexandria where you have the choice to unwind or venture out and explore Cairo on an included full day experience. Marvel at the remains of the ancient world when you visit the ancient Pyramids of Giza, the mighty Sphinx and National Archaeological Museum. Once the day is complete you’ll meet the ship in Port Said before setting sail for Israel.(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
On to Ashdod.
Enjoy a relaxed start this morning before the cruise sails from Israel to Cyprus. Why not make the most of the time on-shore and join and Optional Experience to Jerusalem or for those looking for some extra activities why not try one of the yoga or dance classes on offer?(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
Adventures on Cyprus.
Indulge in another free day relaxing. Enjoy your vessel's facilities, including its comfortable staterooms, elegant restaurants, bars and lounges. A spa and fitness rooms are available for guests looking to pamper themselves, or for those looking to explore, why not head out and see more of what Cyprus has to offer?(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
Myth and Legend of Rhodes.
Upon arrival at Rhodes, chosen by the Crusaders as their fortified headquarters, the day is yours to explore at your own pace. Take part in the included guided experience and walk the streets of the old town surrounded by medieval walls and explore the ancient buildings. In the evening, your cruise continues to Kusadasi.(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
On to Kusadasi.
Arrive in Kusadasi and embark on a half-day tour of Ephesus. This ancient Greek city and UNESCO World Heritage site was founded by the Carian and Lelegs in the 10th century BC and is a must-see during your time here. End the day with a delicious meal onboard your ship.(Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner)
Disembark in Athens.
You’ll end your trip in Athens where you’ll enjoy a final night in your beautiful hotel.(Breakfast)
It’s time to say goodbye to your fellow travellers. Your trip comes to an end with a transfer to Athens International Airport.(Breakfast)
- Olympia: Join a local chef and savour the regional specialties in a fun, exciting introduction to Greek cooking.
- Athens: Toast the culmination of your journey in true Greek tradition at a lively Celebration Dinner with wine.
- Cruising: While cruising, enjoy an exquisite variety of Mediterranean dishes as well as flavours, aromas and spices from around the world. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served on board daily. Your cruise includes a complimentary drinks package, featuring a selection of alcoholic, soft drinks and hot beverages.
- Dining Summary: 14 Breakfasts (B), 7 Lunches (L), 10 Dinners (D) and 2 Dinners with Wine (DW), all with tea or coffee. Your cruise includes a complimentary drinks package featuring a selection of alcoholic and soft drinks, and hot beverages.
- Mycenae: Meet the artisans of a family-run pottery studio and learn about their unique traditional methods.
- Ephesus: Travel from Kusadasi to reach this UNESCO World Heritage Site. Led by your Local Expert, enjoy your time exploring the famed excavated site of this Greco-Roman treasure.
- Athens: Ascend the Acropolis with a Local Expert to admire the Parthenon, built in 5th century B.C. Steps away you'll see the Temple of Athena Nike, also known as the Temple of the Wingless Victory, and the six stone-carved caryatids that make up the Porch of the Maidens on the Erechtheion.
- Athens: See the Arch of Hadrian, erected in honour of the Roman Emperor and used as a divider between the ancient city and the new Roman district, along with the remaining columns of the Temple of Olympian Zeus.
- Cairo: Admire the remaining Wonders of the Ancient World as you explore through the Pyramids of Giza and the mighty Sphinx. Hear about Egyptian history as you walk through the National Archaeological Museum and learn the art of making papyrus paper out of reeds when you visit a Papyrus Institute.
- Thermopylae: See the Leonidas Monument dedicated to the brave warrior and his 300 Spartans.
- Kalambaka: Your Travel Director will provide an orientation of this town situated at the base of the extraordinary Meteora rocks.
- Meteora: With a Local Expert, visit one of the remarkable centuries-old monasteries of Meteora, teetering on towers of rock and arguably the most spectacular place to visit in Greece.
- Delphi: With your Local Expert, walk to The Sacred Way once lined with offertory temples. See the reconstructed Athenian Treasury and pass the superb Polygonal Wall to reach the Temple of Apollo, where the people would seek divine wisdom from the mysterious Oracle.
- Olympia: The stadium of Olympia hosted the ancient Olympic Games and the Heraia, the women's games in honour of Hera. See the Temple of Zeus, athlete's gymnasium and the stone marker where the sprint began.
- Mycenae: Walk through the Lion Gate past the royal beehive-tombs where Schliemann uncovered golden treasure, while hearing tales of Agamemnon from your Local Expert.
- Corinth Channel: Cross the amazing rock-cut channel dividing the Peloponnese from mainland Greece.
- Nafplio: Join your Travel Director in an orientation of this beautiful seaport town and see why it is named one of Greece's prettiest spots.
- Rhodes: See the classical Acropolis of Lindos and the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights in Rhodes.
Start Date: 2020-11-22
End Date: 2020-12-06
Adult Price: $6850
Child Price: $6850
Adult Price: $6350
Child Price: $6350
Adult Price: $8630
Start Date: 2020-12-06
End Date: 2020-12-20
Adult Price: $6850
Child Price: $6850
Adult Price: $6350
Child Price: $6350
Adult Price: $8630
Start Date: 2020-12-20
End Date: 2021-01-03
Adult Price: $6975
Child Price: $6975
Adult Price: $6475
Child Price: $6475
Adult Price: $8825