10 Days ex CasablancaDeparts: Saturdays, year round
Embark on a comprehensive 10-day journey, unravelling the beauty of Morocco's Royal Cities and breathtaking landscapes with an emphasis on comfort and style. This thoughtfully curated itinerary seamlessly navigates from the fortified port of Casablanca through the majestic Atlas Mountains to the vast expanse of the Sahara Desert. Revel in the grandeur and diversity of Morocco, all while enjoying a relaxed pace that enhances the overall experience.
- Discover the charm of Casablanca, the economic hub of Morocco
- Explore Meknes, the Ismalia capital boasting the longest ramparts in the country
- Discover the captivating Roman ruins of Volubilis
- Wander through Medieval Fez, recognised as the spiritual and cultural capital of Morocco.
- Explore the ancient medina where traditional craftsmen practice their skills in the old Oriental tradition
- Experience the delightful blend of past and present in Rabat, the administrative capitalImmerse yourself in Marrakech, known as the “Ochre City”, and meander through the vibrant souks and the famous Jemaa El-Fna Square
- Traverse the Tizi N'Tichka pass to Ait Benhaddou, a UNESCO world heritage kasbah that has served as a backdrop for numerous great movies
- Drive through the stunning Todra Gorge, celebrated for its impressive canyons and escarpments, some towering over 300 meters in height
- Embark on a thrilling 4WD adventure to the captivating Merzouga Dunes
- Pass by the picturesque Tinjdad oasis and journey along the Dades Valley to Ouarzazate via the renowned Road of the 1000 Kasbahs
- Important Information
Day 1-Saturday: Casablanca (D)
Arrive Casablanca Mohamed V International Airport you will be met by our local operator and transferred to your hotel where your accommodation is reserved for one night with dinner and breakfast. Remainder of day at leisure to unwind and absorb the colourful local atmosphere.
Day 2-Sunday: Casablanca Meknes - Fez (BD)
This morning you will be met by your expert local guide who will uncover Casablanca’s hidden gems. This city gained even more fame following the release of the movie Casablanca, starring Humphry Bogart and Ingrid Bergman. Visit the Habous district, the Royal Palace, Mohamed V Square, the residential area of Anfa and view the exterior of the great Hassan II Mosque. After lunch (optional) journey onwards to Meknes, the Ismalia capital with the longest ramparts in Morocco (40km). Known as “the Moroccan Versailles,” Meknes was founded late in the 17th century and contains some of the world’s best examples of Maghreb Architecture. Marvel at the beautifully preserved mosaic gate Bab Mansour, the Royal Stables and the Jewish Quarter. Continue through the holy city of Moulay Driss and visit the Roman ruins of Volubilis, famed for their amazing preservation and stunning mosaic floors. Continue to Fez for dinner at your hotel and overnight.
Day 3-Monday: Fez (BD)
Discover Fez, the cultural and spiritual heart of Morocco. Visit the Royal Palace, Attarine or Bou Anania Medersa, the famous Nejjarine Fountain and the outside of Moulay Idriss mausoleum and Karaouine Mosque. Experience a typical lunch (optional) in a traditional restaurant located in the heart of the Medina where a program of renewal has seen a myriad of eateries take up residence amongst the medieval alleyways. From the traditional tagine to contemporary artisanal delicacies inspired by the local produce and many spices found in the medina, there is something for everyone. Continue with a trip back in time through the medieval Medina and its souks where you will see craftsmen breathing new life into their age-old methods. Return to your hotel for dinner – if you still have room!
Day 4-Tuesday: Fez – Rabat – Marrakech (BD)
This morning you will depart for Marrakech via Rabat, the Administrative Capital. In Rabat embark on an enchanting journey through the white imperial city. A delightful mix of past and present, this city was founded in the 12th century and contains many wondrous sites. Visit the Royal Palace (Mechouar), Mohamed V Mausoleum and Hassan Tower Mosque. Optional seafood lunch. Continue to Marrakesh arriving late afternoon. Dinner at your hotel, overnight Marrakech.
Day 5-Wednesday: Marrakech (BL)
Full day to explore the wonders of Marrakech, the second oldest imperial city in Morocco, known as “the Ochre City” and the “Pearl of the South,”. Your historical visit includes the Menara Gardens with its delightful pavilion that sits above a reflective pool, the Bahai Palace, the Koutoubia and Dar Si Said Museum. After lunch at the hotel continue to explore Marrakech visiting the souks (markets) and explore the latticework of winding little streets, the handicraft quarters and the famous Djemaâ El Fna Square. This district, famed for its entertainment, features storytellers, snake charmers, fire-eaters and more. Optional: Dinner with show
Day 6-Thursday: Marrakech – Ait Benhaddou - Boumalne (BD)
This morning you will depart to Ait Benhaddou through Tizi N’tichka pass (altitude 2260m). Visit the famous Kasbah, a UNESCO world heritage site, that served as a backdrop for many great movies such as Laurence of Arabia, Troy, Gladiator, Games of thrones … Optional lunch. Continue to Boumalne crossing Ouarzazate and Kalaa Mgouna. Dinner is included at your hotel this evening.
Day 7-Friday: Boumalne - Tinghir - Erfoud (BD)
Depart for Erfoud passing through the Magnificent Todra Canyons where rocks reach an attitude of 250m. Optional lunch in local restaurant near the canyons. Continue to Erfoud and depart by 4WD to experience the spectacular Merzouga Dunes on the far western edge of the Sahara Desert. Return to your hotel in Erfoud for dinner and overnight.
- Camel Ride amidst Merzouga dunes for the sunrise. The sunrise begins early in the morning. It takes approximately half an hour to reach the sand dunes of Erg Chebbi on a camel. You will leave the camels to reach te highest dune of Merzouga.
- Overnight amidst Merzouga dunes in a luxury bivouac (includes transfers, dinner and camel ride). The Merzouga Dunes are an impressive drifting chain of sand dunes that can reach 160m and seem to have escaped from the much larger dune field across the nearby border in Algeria. The Erg Dunes are a magical landscape and offer a scene of constant change as sunlight transforms them from pink to gold to red. Tonight experience a dinner and night under the stars.
Day 8-Saturday: Erfoud - Tinghir - Ouarzazate (BD)
This morning, journey through Tinjdad oasis and traverse the Dades Valley en-route to Tinghir. Optional lunch in Tinghir before proceeding along the road of the 1000 Kasbahs, passing through Kalaat M’Gouna and Skoura valley on the way to Ouarzazate. Upon arrival, embark on a short orientation tour. Dinner and overnight at your hotel.
Day 9-Sunday: Ouarzazate – Marrakech - Casablanca (BD)
Depart this morning via the Tizi N’tichka pass for Marrakech. Optional lunch at a restaurant en-route. Dinner and overnight at your hotel in Marrakech.
Day 10-Monday: Casablanca (B)
Today you will be transferred to the airport for your onward flight.
- Airport meet and assist and return airport transfers on Day 1 & Day 10
- 24/7 local support network
- 9 nights accommodation in your choice of tourist class, first class or superior first class accommodation with private facilities, half board basis
- Meals as specified in itinerary – breakfast daily, 8 dinners, 1 lunch
- Modern air-conditioned touring vehicle
- Bilingual professional tour escort and local guides where required
- Sightseeing and visits as specified in itinerary
- Entrance fees to monuments as per the itinerary
- Porterage at all hotels
- VAT taxes
- Morocco Travel Notes - issued by Innovative Travel
- International airfares
- Optional meals as specified in itinerary (full board supplement available)
- Optional tours and excursions
- Tipping/Gratuities (please refer to tour notes for a recommended guideline)
- Personal Expenses
- Departure taxes
- Hotel charges for minibar or any extra charges
- Visas (unless specified)
- Any other services not clearly mentioned in the inclusions above
- Full Board Supplement: includes optional meals mentioned in itinerary - 7 lunches, 1 dinner with show in Marrakech: $350 per person
- Camel ride to Merzouga dunes for the sunrise: $50
- Overnight Merzouga in a luxury bivouac (includes transfers, camel ride, dinner and breakfast) - price on application
Accommodation based on the following or similar
The hotels listed in the itinerary may vary due to tour scheduling. Your final itinerary will contain full details of any changes.
Value Class: Movenpick Casablanca | Hotel Mogador Marina
First Class: Kenzi Tower Hotel | Grand Mogador City Centre
Value Class: Zalagh Parc Palace | Hotel Les Merinides
First Class: Fes Heritage Boutique Hotel | Palais Medina Riad Resort
Value Class: Palm Plaza Hotel & Spa | Imperial Holiday Hotel & Spa
First Class: Kenzi Rose Garden Hotel | Jaal Riad Resort
Value Class: Hotel Xaluca Dades | Kasbah Tizzarouine
First Class: Hotel Xaluca Dades
Value Class: Kasbah Hotel Xaluca Arfoud | Palais du Desert & Spa
First Class: Kasbah Hotel Xaluca Arfoud
Value Class: Hotel Riad Ksar Ighnda | Riad Dar Chamaa
First Class: Hotel Riad Ksar Ighnda
RamadanDuring the Holy Month of Ramadan Muslims fast, abstaining from eating, drinking & smoking during daylight hours (approx. 7am-6.30pm). As a sign of respect, tourists should also try to refrain from these activities in public during the fasting hours. Restaurants and cafes in hotels will be open, however limited alcohol may be available over this time and is usually not served until after sunset and some riads and other locations may not serve alcohol at all during this period. In 2024, Ramadan should begin around 10 March. After 30 days, or on sighting the full moon, Eid Al Fitr is celebrated & most public and private institutions close for at least three days.
RiadsRiads are traditional town houses typically build around an open courtyard. They offer a unique and authentic style of accommodation and usually feature less than 10 rooms. They are generally family-run properties with limited staff undertaking multiple roles and duties. Depending on their standard Riads may not offer all the facilities you would expect to find in a modern hotel. I.e. the Wi-Fi internet access may be limited, there may not be a lift and the breakfast is usually more limited in choices and does vary from Riad to Riad. But the unique and charming atmosphere and the location in the heart of the Medina make up for it. During the Ramadan period, services are more restricted in riads. If you prefer the full services offered by 5 star international hotels, please request an alternative itinerary on this basis.
Private touring in MoroccoOn our private tours of Morocco, touring is by private air-conditioned car with a driver. Arabic and French are the main languages spoken in Morocco with English the 3rd and not often spoken language. Your driver will have some English capability, but is not a licensed professional guide and communication maybe basic at times.It is important that if you have any issues in communicating that you contact the local representative office.
English speaking local guides will be organised by the driver in each city (as specified in your itinerary) in order to provide a more thorough commentary about the city they are a specialist of. Local guides will also help you should you require more information or recommendations on local restaurants or attractions. Please remember that Morocco is a large country and some days of touring will necessitate long periods of driving. There also may be times when, due to road conditions, the itinerary may vary slightly.
If you prefer the services of a full time guide who will accompany you throughout your private holiday, please request this option. Morocco has a tradition of a multi course lunches, heavier and longer than what we are used to in New Zealand. If you prefer to have a lighter and quicker lunch, please ensure this is explained to your driver.
Trip prices and dates are correct at the time of the website going live, however all offers are subject to reconfirmation at the time of booking. All featured tour itineraries and offers may be subject to change due to seasonal variations without notice, or due to local conditions or other conditions. Please confirm all details at time of booking. Travel insurance is mandatory for all Innovative Travel bookings. All passports must be valid for 6 months prior to your return to your home country. Visas are the responsibility of the traveller. Special VIP meet and assist offers are valid for New Zealand passport holders, for other nationalities please check at the time of booking. For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Booking Conditions page.