Duration: 14 DaysJust as Rome was the foundation for modern civilisation, so too is it the ideal start for this superb journey. Spend three days in this ancient city, visiting the Vatican Museums before they are opened to the public. Then follow in the footsteps of Julius Caesar, venturing north to the Rhine Valley, where he built the first bridge to cross the Rhine River. Splendid Europe is packed with fascinating experiences and thrilling interactions with passionate locals.
Splendid Europe – Classic Group, 2021
Welcome to the Eternal City of Rome
Welcome to Rome, a glorious city filled with classic antiquities, medieval buildings, Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches. Transfers depart from Rome's Fiumicino Leonardo da Vinci Airport for your hotel at 09:30, 12:30 and 15:30.Relax and settle in before joining your Travel Director at 17:30, before getting to know your fellow travellers over a delicious Welcome Dinner with wine at a local restaurant.(Dinner with Wine)
Exploring Papal Rome
A Local Expert introduces the grandeur of the city, starting with the Vatican State, the richest community on the world. Visit the Vatican Museums, full of priceless treasures collected by the Popes. Insight provides special VIP, fast-tracked entry to avoid the crowds, together with behind-the-scenes access to the Bramante Staircase - a marvel of Renaissance architecture normally off-limits to the general public. Once inside the Sistine Chapel, admire Michelangelo's famous ceiling. Next door, visit St. Peter’s Basilica to admire Michelangelo's emotive 'Pieta' and see Bernini's intricately carved Papal Altar. The rest of the day is yours to shop in the trendy boutiques or relax at a sidewalk cafe. Perhaps join an Optional Experience to visit the Colosseum, the scene of many gladiatorial contests, and see the Roman Forum?(Breakfast)
Rome at Leisure
The day is yours to enjoy Rome at your own pace. Perhaps take an optional experience to the ill-fated town of Pompeii, frozen in time when it was engulfed by an eruption of Vesuvius in 79 AD. Alternatively, spend some time in the boutiques of the Via del Corso, the Via Nazionale or the elegant designer stores near the Spanish Steps? As night falls, why not sip on prosecco at a sidewalk cafe in Piazza Navona - the Living Room of Rome - and enjoy life's pageantry pass by?(Breakfast)
Autostrada del Sole to Venice
Journey through peaceful Tuscan landscapes, to descend past Bologna into the fertile Valley of the River Po.Arrive at the glorious city of Venice by water taxi and savour a cocktail at sunset whilst you are serenaded by an ensemble of talented musicians, long after the day-trippers have returned to their mainland hotels, before enjoying dinner at a local restaurant.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Venice and the Magic of La Serenissima
Wake up ready to embrace this romantic city. Admire the Doge’s Palace and its adjoining Bridge of Sighs. Witness the skill of glassblowers and learn how the Venetian gondola is made on a visit to a traditional arts centre, before taking a private cruise to St. Mark's Square where St. Mark’s Basilica exudes the city’s former wealth and power.(Breakfast)
Venice to elegant Ljubljana
Depart Venice by water taxi and continue your journey to the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana. A Local Expert shows you including Prešeren square with the Triple bridge, baroque Franciscan Church and and the lively banks of Ljubljanica river.(Breakfast)
Ljubljana to Vienna
Follow the Drava River and cross over the Slovenian border to reach the 700-year-old university town of Maribor. Continue past Graz through Styria’s forested mountains and on to Vienna.(Breakfast)
Vienna and the Habsburgs
In the morning, there is the option to join a private tour of Maria Theresa's Schönbrunn Palace and formal gardens.Later, get your camera ready for a drive around the famous Ring Road. This grand boulevard, built alongside the lines of the old city walls, showcases many of the capitol’s architectural masterpieces, including the Opera House, magnificent Hofburg Imperial Residence and Parliament.Later, join your Local Expert for a walk through Innere Stadt, the first district and historic core of Vienna.Explore Vienna with Insight Choice. Choose between a visit to a traditional Viennese Café to enjoy local specialities of coffee and sachertorte. Alternatively, listen to the musical masterpiece of Mozart as you take to the floor in a Viennese Waltz dance lesson.(Breakfast)
Salzburg and on to Innsbruck
Pass the impressive Benedictine monastery of Melk before reaching the enchanting city of Salzburg, birthplace of Mozart and the iconic musical 'The Sound of Music'. A Local Expert will show you the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace, including the fountains and statues where the 'Do, Re, Mi' scene was filmed. Cross Residence Square with its fountain, where Maria sings 'I Have Confidence' and see the imposing fortress, the immense cathedral and Mozart’s birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse. Perhaps join an excursion to the famous Eagle's Nest? Continue to the mountain ringed Tyrolean capital of Innsbruck to see the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace.(Breakfast)
Liechtenstein to Lucerne
Journey past flower-filled meadows and picturesque chalet-style villages to the Principality of Liechtenstein. Spend some time in its tiny capital, Vaduz, then cross into Switzerland and through glorious mountains to lakeside Lucerne. On arrival, visit Lucerne's proud Lion Monument, carved into a limestone cliff and dedicated to the heroic Swiss Guards who died defending King Louis XVI during the French Revolution.(Breakfast)
Lucerne’s Lakes, Mountains and Lion
In the morning, embark on a scenic journey by funicular railway and open-top cable car to the summit of the stunning Mount Stanserhorn. Take in the pristine mountain air and, on a clear day, witness views as far as Alsace and the Black Forest in Germany. Explore Stanserhorn with Insight Choice. Choose between taking a walk along beautiful scenic pathways for a chance to see marmots and other native animals. Alternatively, join a Swiss ranger and hear a talk to learn about local wildlife and flora in the area. Upon return to Lucerne, take some time to stroll across the covered Chapel Bridge and see the baroque Jesuit church. The rest of the day is at leisure to shop for fine watches and delectable chocolates. Tonight, enjoy a fine selection of restaurants to choose from for your Dine-Around Evening.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Legends along the Rhine
Enjoy travelling through Germany and follow the Rhine Valley north to Königswinter.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
The Canals of Amsterdam
Delight in a private estate viewing of one of the famous Rhineland castles and learn more about these living cultural monuments situated along the Middle Rhine over a glass of wine. Continue your travels to Amsterdam. The best way to see this remarkable city is from the water as you cruise through the canal district, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Admire the elegant merchant houses from the 16th and 17th centuries, their facades are a reflection of when trade flourished during Amsterdam's Golden Age. Relax as you pass stunning gables, beautiful churches and the iconic Magere Brug, better known as the Skinny Bridge. In the evening, toast your adventure and new-found friends during a Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
After breakfast, transfers arrive at Amsterdam's Schiphol Airport at 08:00 and 10:00.(Breakfast)
- Rome: Enjoy a Welcome Dinner with your fellow travellers at a uniquely Roman local restaurant.
- Venice: In St Marks Square at sunset, long after the day-trippers have gone to their mainland hotels, sip Bellini cocktails canal-side before dinner at a local restaurant.
- Lucerne: Choose from a selection of restaurants on your Dine-Around Evening and hand-pick your preferred ambience, cuisine and drinks for an intimate culinary experience.
- Amsterdam: Toast the culmination of your travels during a fabulous Celebration Dinner at a local restaurant.
- Dining Summary: 13 Breakfast (B), 5 Dinner with Wine (DW)
- Vienna: Choose between a visit to a traditional coffeehouse to enjoy Viennese specialities of coffee and Sachertorte or alternatively, listen to the musical masterpiece of Mozart, as you take to the floor in a Viennese Waltz dance lesson.
- Stanserhorn: Choose between a walk along beautiful scenic pathways for a chance to see native animals or alternatively, join a Swiss ranger to learn about local fauna and flora.
- Vatican City: Gain VIP access into the Vatican Museums and admire the famous Bramante Staircase. Witness the genius of Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel and view the splendid dome of St. Peter's Basilica.
- Venice: Learn how the Venetian gondola is made on a visit to a traditional arts centre.
- Rhine Valley: The beautiful scenery of the Rhine River is punctuated by the many castles dotted along its banks. Delight in a private estate viewing of one of these Rhineland castles and learn more about these living cultural monuments located along the Middle Rhine.
- Venice: Witness the ancient skill of glassblowing, now practised by precious few masters. Watch artisans create delicate works of art using rare traditional practices.The workshop advances SDG 11: Sustainable Cities and Communities. The workshops master craftsmen teach visitors about the traditional craft of glassblowing and its history which dates back to the 15th century. Every visit helps to support the workshop and the survival of this traditional craft.
- Scenic Drives: Relax and take in the scenery of the Apennine Mountains, Valley of the River Po, Styria, Swiss Alps and Rhine Valley.
- Rome: During your orientation with you Travel Director see the medieval buildings, including Renaissance palaces and Baroque churches, scattered throughout the city.
- Venice: With your Travel Director cruise to St. Mark's Square and see the Doge's Palace, Bridge of Sighs and St. Mark's Basilica.
- Ljubljana: Explore this elegant capital with your Local Expert, to see the castle City Hall, Cathedral of St Nicholas and Triple Bridge.
- Maribor: Led by your Travel Director, explore this charming city, the second largest in Slovenia. Take a moment to appreciate the blend of old and new architecture.
- Vienna: Walk through the first district, Inner Stadt, as your Local Expert reveals why this is the historic core of the city. You will also tour the Ring Road to see the Hofburg Imperial Residence, Opera House, Parliament Building and Karlskirche.
- Salzburg: Join your Local Expert to visit the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace and Residence Square - both locations used in 'The Sound of Music.' You will also see the imposing fortress, the immense cathedral and Mozart's birthplace on the lively Getreidegasse.
- Innsbruck: Enjoy an orientation with your Travel Director as you walk the narrow streets of the Old Town, lined with medieval houses and arcades, to see the Golden Roof.
- Vaduz: Admire the Royal family's residence, Vaduz Castle, which overlooks the capital and is surrounded by year-round snow peaked mountains.
- Lucerne: During your orientation with your Travel Director, see the emotive Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Stanserhorn Summit: A spectacular journey by cable car and cogwheel railway takes you to the summit for expansive mountain views over Lake Lucerne.
- Amsterdam: Cruise along the old waterways, discovering the architectural gems of the old city, including mansions dating from the Golden Age of the 17th Century.
Start Date: 2021-06-03
End Date: 2021-06-16
Adult Price: $6875
Child Price: $6175
Adult Price: $6875
Child Price: $5345
Adult Price: $6645
Child Price: $5945
Adult Price: $8675
Start Date: 2021-09-23
End Date: 2021-10-06
Adult Price: $7395
Child Price: $6695
Adult Price: $7395
Adult Price: $7165
Child Price: $6465
Adult Price: $9195
Start Date: 2021-10-14
End Date: 2021-10-27
Adult Price: $7095
Child Price: $6395
Adult Price: $7095
Adult Price: $6865
Child Price: $6165
Adult Price: $8895