Duration: 9 DaysA wonderful trip, visiting the best of Europe's great highlights. At this time of year, nothing could be more enjoyable than rubbing shoulders with the locals, while you snack on homemade gingerbread and sip mulled wine in cosy cafes and colourful Christmas Markets.
Winter Wonderland (Winter 2019 2020)
Frankfurt and on to Mainz.
Welcome to Germany. From the Rhine Valley to the Alps, experience lively cosmopolitan cities, historic old towns and breathtaking natural scenery. Transfers from Frankfurt airport to your Mainz hotel depart at 09:30 and 12:30. Mainz has been a bustling and important town since the time of the Romans. Join your Travel Director and fellow guests at 18:00, for a walk through the Cathedral Quarter to witness the magnificent architecture of the city’s Dom. At a local restaurant, enjoy a pleasant evening of good food and wine during your Welcome Dinner.(Dinner with Wine)
Rothenburg ob der Tauber and the Romantic Road to Munich.
Head to fortified Rothenburg ob der Tauber, overlooking the winding Tauber River. Once through the medieval walls, you are immediately transported back into the 16th century, as cobblestone streets lead you to the medieval Market Square with its Town Hall. Perhaps visit Tilman Riemenschneider’s ‘Holy Blood’ altarpiece in St Jakob’s Church or pop into the Christmas shop where you’ll find the festive spirit all year round? Follow parts of the Romantic Road to fun-loving Munich.(Breakfast)
The Bavarian Capital of Munich.
During your orientation you will see Victory Arch and the university, concluding in the Marienplatz with its soaring Gothic Town Hall and colourful Glockenspiel. The rest of the day is at leisure. Why not try a foaming stein of beer at the world-famous Hofbräuhaus?(Breakfast)
Lake Chiemsee to Salzburg.
Travel alongside the beautiful Lake Chiemsee and cross the Austrian border to Salzburg, ‘alive with the Sound of Music.’ Walk with your Local Expert through the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace and admire the city skyline, crowned by the majestic Hohensalzburg Fortress. Cross the Salzach River to see Mozart’s birthplace on the Getreidegasse, a lively shopping street lined with charming wrought-iron signs. For those arriving before Christmas, visit the festive Christmas Market and meet a local stallholder for a taste of traditional Lebkuchen and a fragrant cup of Glühwein. Follow the narrow lanes of the Old Town to the domed cathedral and the splendid Residenz Fountain, before having time at leisure to enjoy as you please. In the evening, perhaps visit an Austrian chalet for dinner, drinks and the opportunity to learn about life in the countryside?(Breakfast)
Innsbruck, mountain-ringed Capital of Tyrol.
A scenic journey takes you through snow-capped mountains to Innsbruck. A multitude of Rococo cherubs and angels will greet you when you venture inside the Wilten Basilica. See the Imperial Palace and magnificent Golden Roof in the Old Town, then loose yourself in the festive atmosphere as you spend some time exploring Innsbruck's magical Christmas Markets. The giant Christmas tree dominates the square and is adorned in lights and decorations. Browse the market stalls, selling handmade trinkets that make perfect gifts for friends and family, along with delicious local treats of home-made biscuits, jams and delicious, soul-warming Glühwein. In the afternoon, meet your coachman and take in the delightful scenery and pure fresh air on a horse-drawn carriage ride, known as a Fiaker. At night, journey to the charming town of Hall in Tirol, which boasts one of Austria's best-preserved historic town centres. Enjoy a medieval highlight banquet set in a 700-year-old building.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Liechtenstein and Lucerne by the Lake.
Delightful scenery abounds as you make your way to the Arlberg Tunnel. Stop in Vaduz, capital of the Principality of Liechtenstein, one of Europe’s smallest countries. Cross the Swiss border and continue to lakeside Lucerne. Your Travel Director will show you the covered wooden Chapel Bridge and you’ll learn about the poignant history of the Lion Monument. Then you are at leisure to shop for Swiss watches or delicious chocolate.(Breakfast)
Start the day with a spectacular cable car ride with incredible views up Mount Pilatus. Back in Lucerne, you are free to admire the superb baroque Jesuit Church, stroll along lakeside promenades, or explore the old walls and watch towers of the medieval fortifications.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Heidelberg, Romance on the Neckar.
Stop at Schaffhausen to see the Rhine River thundering over the Rhine Falls. Cross the German border and venture deep into the Black Forest. Following the Rhine Valley north, head for the town of Heidelberg, set on the banks of the river Neckar and dominated by its magnificent red sandstone castle. Stroll through the old town with your Travel Director. Perhaps see the old Student Prison? In the evening, enjoy good food, wine and company at your Celebration Dinner.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Depart Frankfurt Airport.
A transfer to Frankfurt airport’s Terminal 1 arrives at 09:00 and Terminal 2 at 09:15.(Breakfast)
- Munich: At the Christmas Market, meet a local stallholder and taste the delicious Lebkuchen with a fragrant cup of Glühwein, available on trips that visit Munich Christmas Market.
- Hall in Tirol: Perfectly situated in a 700-year-old building in the charming town of Hall in Tirol, savour a medieval banquet of Austrian specialties with wine.
- Heidelberg: Toast the culmination of your travels at a rousing Celebration Dinner with wine.
- Dining Summary: 8 Breakfasts (B) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee. Departures travelling over Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve will enjoy festive Highlight Dinners which will replace an included meal.
- Mainz: The Hilton Mainz is a traditional hotel set in an ideal location to explore the historic Old Town.
- Munich: The Westin Grand Munich is a modern hotel located in the fashionable Bogenhausen district.
- Lucerne: Set in a stunning location, the modern Hotel Astoria offers three award-winning restaurants and a rooftop garden, lounge and bar.
- Christmas Markets: Lose yourself in the festive atmosphere on select departures.
- Mainz: Witness half-timbered houses and Baroque buildings surrounding the magnificent Dom Cathedral.
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber: Fortified by ancient walls, picturesque and unspoiled, Rothenburg is a fairytale come true at any time of year. In December it dazzles with its 500-year-old Reiterlesmarkt lending a festive air to the cobbled streets and buildings. See the animated town clock and explore the most well-preserved medieval town in Germany.
- Munich: During your orientation of the city with your Travel Director, see the Victory Arch, Town Hall and Glockenspiel in Marienplatz.
- Innsbruck: Visit Wilten Basilica.
- Innsbruck: During your orientation you will see the Golden Roof and Imperial Palace in the Old Town.
- Salzburg: Walk through the formal gardens of Mirabell Palace, where the 'Do, Re, Mi' scene was filmed for 'The Sound of Music.' Your Local Expert will also show you Mozart’s birthplace on the Getreidegasse, the domed cathedral and the splendid Residenz Fountain.
- Innsbruck: Meet your coachman and enjoy a delightful horse-drawn carriage ride, surrounded by the mountains and valleys of Tyrol.
- Vaduz: Admire the Royal family’s residence, Vaduz Castle, which overlooks the capital and is surrounded by year-round snow peaked mountains.
- Lucerne: A spectacular journey by cable car to the summit of Mount Pilatus offers expansive mountain views over Lake Lucerne.
- Lucerne: See the covered wooden bridges, Lion Monument, Jesuit Church and Chapel Bridge.
- Rhine Falls: Visit these spectacular falls.
- Heidelberg: See the red sandstone castle and explore the baroque Old Town with your Travel Director.
- Scenic Drives: Venture along part of Germany’s Romantic Road and past Lake Chiemsee, through the Arlberg region and the scenic Black Forest, past Walensee Lake in Switzerland.
Start Date: 2019-11-30
End Date: 2019-12-08
Adult Price: $2875
Child Price: $2575
Adult Price: $2875
Adult Price: $2865
Child Price: $2565
Adult Price: $3605
Start Date: 2019-12-19
End Date: 2019-12-27
Adult Price: $3225
Child Price: $2925
Adult Price: $3225
Adult Price: $3215
Child Price: $2915
Adult Price: $3955
Start Date: 2019-12-21
End Date: 2019-12-29
Adult Price: $3195
Child Price: $2895
Adult Price: $3195
Adult Price: $3185
Child Price: $2885
Adult Price: $3925
Start Date: 2019-12-30
End Date: 2020-01-07
Adult Price: $3095
Child Price: $2795
Adult Price: $3095
Adult Price: $3085
Child Price: $2785
Adult Price: $3825