Duration: 9 DaysA showcase of beautiful wildernesses, eclectic cultures, warm hospitality and rich heritage, this journey will take you from cosmopolitan Cape Town into the heart of Big Five territory. Uncover the history of South Africa, while luxuriously travelling like the intrepid explorers of the past. Meet extraordinary local characters, and taste the Cape’s finest wines and culinary delights. Your journey concludes with a three-day safari in the Sabi Sands, known for having one of the planet’s highest concentrations of animal species.
Spectacular South Africa – Summer 2020
Welcome to the Mother City.
Welcome to Cape Town, the crown jewel of the African continent, with its spectacular scenery, exotic cultures and delicious flavours. On arrival at Cape Town International, transfer to The 12 Apostles Hotel and Spa, nestled between Table mountain and 12 Apostles mountain range, offering amazing views of the Atlantic Ocean. This evening join your Travelling Concierge and travel companions for a dazzling Welcome Dinner, hosted at the hotel’s Azure restaurant. Enjoy expansive ocean views from the terrace as you experience fine dining of modern South African cuisine infused with international influences. Inspired by the ocean, the menu boasts an array of dishes prepared with seasonally organic ingredients.(Dinner with Wine)
Cape Peninsula and Lunch in Cape Point.
Embark on one of the world's most legendary drives, journeying from the Hotel through the fishing village of Hout Bay. Winding along Chapman's Peak, the road takes you pass Kalk Bay later in the afternoon, when we return to the other side of the Peninsula for lunch. to the majestic Cape Point Nature Reserve, one of the world's most pristine wildernesses. Stroll along the trails and keep an eye out for reebok, Cape Mountain zebra, bontebok and the elusive eland. Explore Boulders Beach and learn about the local residents, a colony of African penguins. You're invited to an exquisite lunch with wine at the Harbour House restaurant in Kalk Bay. Admire views overlooking False Bay and the Hottentots Mountain Range as you dine as close to the water as possible. Take in beautiful views of the ocean and mountains, as you travel to your hotel overlooking the Atlantic. See the cosmopolitan suburbs of Sea Point, Clifton and Camps Bay before returning to your Hotel. Your Travelling Concierge is a treasure trove of local knowledge and will happily make dinner reservations on your behalf at recommended restaurants.(Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)
Majestic Table Mountain.
Known for being one of Africa’s most desirable and vibrant cities, Cape Town is yours to explore at leisure. Perhaps shop for trendy crafts at the award-winning Watershed, listen to indigenous music at the Victoria & Alfred Waterfront or stroll along the popular Sea Point promenade? In the afternoon, meet your Travelling Concierge and travel to the base of Table Mountain, one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World. Enjoy 360-degree views of the city from the famous cable car, before stepping off onto the summit just in time for a private drinks reception and a spectacular African sunset, should weather permit. This evening venture to a nearby restaurant for an opulent culinary journey accented by daring decor and whispers of history.(Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)
Historic Cape Winelands.
World famous for crisp white and French-style red wines, the fertile wine valleys of the Cape are also a treasury of rustic beauty and sprawling estates shaded by giant oak trees. Travel into the heart of the winelands, starting in historic Paarl and Stellenbosch and on to the beautiful town of Franschhoek, founded in 1688 by French immigrants fleeing the Huguenot religious persecution in Europe. These very settlers produced the fine wines once sought after by Napoleon, Bismarck and royalty such as Edward VII, the Prince of Wales. Wander through the lovely gardens of the Vergelegen Estate, appreciate the Cape Dutch architecture of the manor house and enjoy a private wine tasting hosted by the estate’s winemaker in a private cellar. Continue on to the Boschendal Wine Estate, one of the oldest farms in the country, for a delicious seasonal Farm-to-Table lunch served at The Werf Restaurant. Using only the finest local and ethically-sourced ingredients, the in-house chef will delight you with a menu that includes fermented breads, slow-roasted ribs sourced from the herd of local Angus cattle and house-smoked trout. Relax and enjoy a scenic drive as you are chauffeured back to you hotel in a vintage car. With an evening at leisure, your Travelling Concierge is on hand to assist you with restaurant recommendations and reservations.(Breakfast / Lunch with Wine)
Amy Foundation and Robben Island.
South Africa has for centuries been a land of dreams and complexities, diversity and ideas, and intoxicating landscapes drawing travellers from afar. Step onboard a ferry and journey to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Robben Island, best known for its prison where Nelson Mandela and many other famous anti-apartheid activists were imprisoned. Join a local guide for an insightful tour of the former prison and meet an ex-political prisoner who will share personal anecdotes as you explore the island on a guided coach tour. Return to the mainland and join Christo Brand, a former prison guard at the Victor Verster prison where Nelson Mandela spent the last 14 months of his 27-year-long imprisonment, for lunch at the Amy Foundation and hear fascinating stories about one of history’s most heroic figures. You then visit the Amy Foundation, a non-profit organisation, and witness how the lives of vulnerable young people are being transformed through a variety of empowering programmes. Visit a township and school where you’ll meet some of the inspiring beneficiaries. Enjoy the evening at your leisure, perhaps head to trendy Bree Street for dinner?(Breakfast / Lunch)
Luxury Safari Experience.
Fly from Cape Town into the heart of the African bushveld, as you touch down at Skukuza Airport. At more than 2 million hectares, Kruger National Park is the same size as Belgium and one of the world’s largest game reserves. Enjoy a short drive through Big Five territory to the luxurious Lion Sands Lodge, located on the banks of the Sabie River, where lunch will be served with wine. Settle into your chic suite and enjoy time at your leisure. Experience your first evening game drive, hosted by a professionally qualified ranger and tracker. Enjoy the drive on your private open-air safari vehicle, as you venture through the Lion Sands Game Reserve, which forms part of an ecosystem boasting the largest concentration of wild animal species in the Southern Hemisphere. Learn about the complexities of a termite colony or perhaps see a pride of lions roaming through the savanna, as your ranger shares fascinating insights into the lives of small and large creatures. Stop en route for a gin-and-tonic and snacks, served in the heart of the African bushveld. In the evening, gather round for a spectacular feast of slow-cooked meats, seasonal vegetables and sweet treats, before falling asleep to the distant calls of hyenas.(Breakfast / Lunch with Wine / Dinner with Wine)
Looking for the Big Five.
Arise with sunrise to a cup of freshly-brewed coffee and depart on your morning game drive. Marvel at your tracker’s skills, as he analyses animal spoor and reads the bush, like a book, in search of the Big Five. Keep your eyes peeled for leopard, as you pass rocky outcrops, and listen for the sounds of elephants munching on mopani leaves. See crocodiles and hippopotamus at watering holes and look out for the many exotic bird species found in the area. Return to your lodge just in time for a spectacular breakfast spread overlooking the river. Savour lunch before enjoying the afternoon Your Way. You may choose to either relax over high tea, or join your ranger for a bush walk. Afterwards you will have some time at leisure, perhaps opting for a rejuvenating massage at the Africology Spa? Then prepare for your second game drive for the day. Early evening is the ideal time to spot members of the Big Five, including rhinoceros, buffalo and lion. Sit tight, as your ranger leads the way to unforgettable game sightings. Drink a toast to nature’s bounties, as the sun dips beyond the savannah, returning to your lodge in time for yet another magnificent dinner, set by candle-light. The in-house chefs specialise in a variety of cuisines and are able to offer you everything from vegetarian to traditional fare.(Breakfast / Lunch with Wine / Dinner with Wine)
We're going on a Safari.
Awake with sunrise, the best time to spot predators, for your morning game drive. Huddle under blankets, as you’re driven through the fresh morning mist in search of wildlife. Perhaps stop along the Sabie River to enjoy a cup of coffee, while keeping an eye out for buck and giraffes. Upon returning to your lodge, savour breakfast, served on the deck, and enjoy the rest of the day at your leisure. Perhaps shop at the curio shop, go on a birding walk or enjoy a siesta, before lunch and afternoon tea are served. Join your ranger and tracker for your final evening game drive and soak up the magic of the African bushveld illuminated by the sinking sun. Raise a glass in the evening to an outstanding adventure, as you savour your Celebration Dinner beneath a blanket of stars.(Breakfast / Lunch with Wine / Dinner with Wine)
Farewell South Africa.
Appreciate the skill and in-depth knowledge of your ranger and tracker on your final morning game-drive. As no day in the bushveld is the same, appreciate the site of a unique bird or perhaps a warthog running across the road with its tail upright. After breakfast, transfer to the Skukuza Airport for your onward journey.(Breakfast)
- Cape Town: Enjoy a dazzling Welcome Dinner, hosted at The Azure restaurant. Boasting unrivalled views of the harbour and Table Mountain, The Azure offers traditional fine dining inspired by the diverse cuisine brought to South Africa by its early settlers. Taste some of the Cape’s top wines, as you drink a toast to your journey ahead.
- Cape Point: You’re invited to an exquisite lunch with wine at the elegant Harbour House in Kalk Bay, bringing you as close as possible to the water as you admire views of False Bay and the Hottentots Mountain Range.
- Cape Winelands: One of the oldest and grandest wine estate’s in the Cape, Vergelegen boasts lovely gardens and a stunning Cape Dutch manor house. Explore the grounds and enjoy a private wine tasting hosted by the estate’s winemaker in a private cellar.
- Cape Winelands: Lunch Farm-to-Table style served at The Werf Restaurant in Boschendal Wine Estate, one of the oldest farms in the country.
- Kruger National Park: After your evening game drive, raise a glass to your travels as you savour your Celebration Dinner beneath a blanket of stars.
- Dining Summary: 8 Breakfasts (B), 1 Lunch (L), 5 Lunches with Wine (LW) and 5 Dinners with Wine (DW).
- Cape Peninsula: Embark on one of the world’s most legendary drives, journeying from the city centre along the Cape Peninsula towards Cape Point.
- Cape Point Nature Reserve: As you wander along the trails, be sure to stay alert for your chance to catch a glimpse of the abundant wildlife that live here, including reebok, Cape Mountain zebra, bontebok and the elusive eland.
- Cape Point Nature Reserve: Explore Boulders Beach and learn about the surrounding flora and fauna, including local residents, a colony of African Penguins. Learn about the surrounding flora and fauna, including local residents, a colony of African penguins.
- Table Mountain: Enjoy a ride to the summit of Table Mountain on the famous cable car with 360-degree views of the Mother City. At the top, enjoy a private drink reception and marvel at the African sunset.
- Cape Winelands: Take a scenic drive through fertile wine valleys of the Cape.
- Winelands: Relax and enjoy a scenic drive as you are chauffeured back to your hotel in a vintage car.
- Robben Island: Journey by ferry to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Robben Island, best known for its prison where Nelson Mandela and many other famous anti-apartheid activists were imprisoned.
- Robben Island: Join a Local Expert for an insightful tour of the former prison and meet an ex-political prisoner who shares personal anecdotes as you explore.
- Cape Town: Visit the Amy Foundation, a non-profit organisation in Cape Town. Witness how the lives of young people are being transformed through empowering programmes when you visit an African township and school to meet some of the beneficiaries.
- Kruger National Park: Keep an eye out for the Big Five, as you embark on a three-day safari with six game-drives in a private, open-air safari vehicle. More than just animal spotting, you will learn about this delicate ecosystem and how all inhabitants, great and small, influence and affect their surrounding environment.
- Kruger National Park: Situated in the Sabi Sands, which boasts one of the planet’s highest concentrations of animal species, the Lion Sands Lodges offer, luxury suites with private decks and plunge pools, and an open-air lounge and dining area overlooking the Sabie River.
- Cape Town: Join Christo Brand, a former prison guard at the Victor Verster prison - where Nelson Mandela spent the last 14 months of his 27-year-long imprisonment - for lunch at the Amy Foundation and hear fascinating stories about one of history’s most heroic figures.
Start Date: 2020-06-26
End Date: 2020-07-04
Adult Price: $12050
Child Price: $12050
Adult Price: $16150
Start Date: 2020-11-30
End Date: 2020-12-08
Adult Price: $12650
Child Price: $12650
Adult Price: $16750